Saturday, October 5, 2013

A Theory.


This week we talked about four different behavioral theories pertaining to families. As we talked about each theory I saw different parts of each that fit very specifically into my own family. The different theories we discussed were …

Systems Theory – focuses on social systems and how their interdependent parts maintain order by using roles, rules and feedback loops.
Exchange Theory – views social interaction as a cost-benefit analysis in which people try to keep their costs lower than their rewards.
Symbolic Interaction Theory – views humans as cognitive creatures who are influenced and shaped by their interaction experiences.
Conflict Theory – focuses on contradictory interests, inequalities, and the resulting conflict and change.

As we got into deeper discussions about each theory I felt as though systems theory best explained for me the behavioral actions of my family while I was younger. It is all about how family members learn the different rules of their family system and then adhere to them. How we also assume roles such as “peacekeeper” or “clown” etc. I could see each of these things manifested in my family and it just made me realize that we are not all as different in our families, our communities, etc, as we may think we are. In general we all adhere to many of the same rules and family systems in our own lives as those around us do.

What role did you have in your family? What roles did your parents and siblings take on? Have you met many others who have had these same roles portrayed in their own families?

No comments:

Post a Comment